Frequently Asked Questions
How does United Way of Alamance County improve our community?
The wish for a thriving community is one that we all share – a community where everyone has the resources needed for long-term employment, housing, and food stability; access to services and support for a healthy life; and the tools to succeed in school.
That’s why United Way’s focus on the following impact areas:
- Education: Making sure children start school ready to succeed, become proficient readers from an early age, stay on track in middle school, earn a high school diploma, and pursue higher education.
- Income: Empowering people to get on the stable financial ground with access to adequate public transportation and affordable housing, career readiness, and financial literacy.
- Health: Building healthier, more resilient communities by promoting physical activity, expanding access to quality health care, integrating health into early childhood development, and supports for older adults.
How can I make the biggest difference with my donation?
You can make the greatest impact on important issues facing our community by investing in United Way’s Collective Impact Fund. This fund creates long-lasting impact for those who need it most right here in our local community – children, families and seniors.
What does “Collective Impact” mean?
Collective Impact is an organized approach to bringing different partners together (such as: nonprofits, schools, businesses, health & human service providers, government, and individuals) to work on complex community issues, based on the understanding that no one entity can solve most community problems alone. The five key “conditions” for organizations involved in a successful Collective Impact initiative are:
- Common Agenda: All participants share a vision for change that includes a common understanding of the problem and a joint approach to solving the problem through agreed-upon actions.
- Shared Measurement: All participating organizations agree on the ways success will be measured and reported, common indicators identified and used for learning and improvement.
- Mutually Reinforcing Activities: A diverse set of stakeholders, typically across sectors, coordinate a set of differentiated activities through a mutually reinforcing plan of action.
- Continuous Communication: All players engage in frequent and structured open communication to build trust, assure mutual objectives and create common motivation.
- Backbone Support: An independent, funded staff dedicated to the initiative provides ongoing support by guiding the initiative’s vision and strategy, supporting aligned activities, establishing shared measurement practices, building public will, advancing policy and mobilizing resources.
How does the Collective Impact Model work?
Meaningful, long-term change requires long-term thinking. For several years, United Way has been working toward implementing a Collective Impact Model. The model supports long-term change in our community by focusing on root causes of problems.
- Survey and gather data to determine the big picture and areas of greatest need.
- Set focused goals that are designed for a thriving community.
- Collaborate with agencies to effectively meet these goals.
- Convene organizations, donors and volunteers to align efforts.
What is United Way of Alamance County’s role in Collective Impact?
United Way of Alamance County’s mission is: To mobilize the caring power of our community to advance the common good. To do this we will: Lead collective action around bold goals in education, financial stability and health. We will LIVE UNITED by: Convening partners around shared community goals; align community giving, advocating and volunteering to achieve the goals, and support strategic work that advances the goals.
United Way has been convening organizations and individuals in Alamance County for 90 years in order to better our community. Our ability to see the big picture and bring people together around the table is unique, and we have the experience and resources in place to help address the complex issues that require collective work.
How does United Way make sure its partners are using my gift wisely?
Local nonprofits submit applications for funding each spring. Teams of volunteers review the applications and make funding recommendations to our Board of Directors. We currently provide 20 grants to local nonprofits. Agencies that have the greatest impact and best outcomes in addressing priorities in education, financial stability, and health receive funding. These programs impacted 31,546 lives in Alamance County last year.
Each funded program submits semi-annual reports that include progress on projected outcomes, number of unduplicated clients served, financial reporting on how funds were spent as well as organization’s financials and success stories for marketing purposes. Outcomes are evaluated on an annual basis to determine impact and continued funding.
Are designations to other agencies available?
Donations may be designated to any 501(c)(3) nonprofit through United Way of Alamance County. We strongly encourage donations be made undesignated maximizing our Community Fund to have the greatest impact on our work and our community. Your donations may also be designated to one of our impact areas: Education, Financial Stability, or Health. Designations to other nonprofit organizations must be a minimum of $50.
Is my United Way contribution tax deductible?
Yes, you may claim a tax credit for contributions you make to United Way of Alamance County, which is a 501(c)(3) Charitable Organization. United Way will provide you with a receipt for any donation of $250 or more. UWAC does not provide a tax receipt for payroll deduction donations, your final pay stub should have your payroll deduction donation information. For more information on how to claim your tax credit, please contact your tax advisor.
I Want to Help my Community, but Don’t Know Where to Start?
Are you ready to join others in Alamance County who have a vision for a thriving community and a desire to unite resources to make a deep and lasting impact?
Consider donating your time. Some of the ways volunteers can help include:
- Help with Stamp Out Hunger food drive
- Prepare taxes through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program
- Serve or deliver meals
- Mentor or tutor students
- Collect school supplies
- Help with yard work
Visit our VOLUNTEER page where you can find links to nonprofit agencies that are in need of donations of items and/or your time.
You can give at your workplace or online. Your gift will support our Collective Impact Fund and all donations are tax deductible. Visit www.uwalamance.org/donate for easy online giving. You have the option to give in honor or in memory of a loved one or designate to a workplace campaign.
Public policy advocacy is a strategy we use to seek needed improvements in our community and take action around the causes that matter most. You can help by mobilizing your contacts to be informed, vote, and speak out.